Top Image

angels & bridges, by blake cyrier

Posted on: Wednesday, May 21, 2014

angels & bridges, by blake cyrier

Blake Cyrier is one of the featured artists in the next issue of undressed. Lucky for us, he shared an extra editorial and answered some questions to hold us over until it is released!


photos: blake cyrier, model: lexi johnson

petite tenue: tell me a little about yourself! how did you get into photography?
blake cyrier: My name is Blake Cyrier. I moved around quite a bit in my youth. When people ask where I’m from I just like to say “America”, because I’ve lived in so many states. I am originally from South Carolina and have lived in Illinois, Texas, North Carolina, and Southern California. My parents would always advise me to buy a journal to start documenting my life. I wasn’t too keen on the idea of writing my whole life story out. It seemed too time consuming to me at the time. So instead, I picked up a camera. I found that it was the best way for me to document and express myself. 

When I was about 17 I did my first “real” model photoshoot with a close buddy of mine. He worked at Abercrombie & Fitch at the time and we were inspired to shoot something similar to their ads. So I grabbed my camera one summer afternoon and we walked out to the pond behind the house to shoot. He ended up getting signed with a modeling agency with the photos we took. This of course, inspired me to further pursue my photography career. 

Apart from the photography world, I love to skate and surf. I love to camp and go on adventures. Road trips are my favorite. 


photos: blake cyrier, model: lexi johnson

petite tenue: what are some of your inspirations?
blake cyrier: I’m inspired by Jason Lee Parry and Basement Fox. I love their sense of adventure and the free spirit feel to their work. I also love that they shoot with film, something I am trying to do more of. 

In addition to photography, I am a cinematographer. I would have to say that I usually base the majority of my inspiration off of watching movies. I like my work—even my photos—to have a nostalgic/cinematic and dreamy feel to it.

 I strive to incorporate my thoughts and emotions into my work. Music plays a big part in my preparing for a shoot. The first thing I do is fire up a playlist and then close my eyes and just let my imagination run wild. I’ll have a note pad close by to jot down any inspiration that comes to mind. 

Nature is something else that inspires me. Being on the road in the back woods, away from the hustle and bustle, frees the mind, allowing it to create without boundaries. 


photos: blake cyrier, model: lexi johnson

petite tenue: what can we expect from you in the near future? 
blake cyrier: Oh wow, I have quite a bit of plans for the near future: 

More film projects! More editorial work! 

You can expect to see my latest editorial “Urban LA” published on SickyMagazine.com at the beginning of June. I am gearing up for two editorials at the end of this month, excited for that. 

I am making plans for my first photo book. I am also planning to shoot with 35mm film and Polaroid more often. 

I am constantly itching to create. Whether it is shooting an editorial or cinematic short films, I always strive to keep my creative juices flowing. 

I am definitely going to be traveling more, so definitely follow my instagram to keep a look out for my new and upcoming work! 



photos: blake cyrier, model: lexi johnson



photos: blake cyrier
model: lexi johnson, cmg models
instagram: @lexikj


xoxo, petite tenue

0 comments:

Post a Comment

petite tenue All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger